Today, Trinity Lutheran Church and School continues to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with its members, the community, our school children and their families.
Over a Century of Sharing the Gospel in NE Portland
In 1891 a new congregation, Trinity, became a member of the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod. In the Lutheran tradition, an elementary school was included in the initial plan, and Trinity Lutheran School classes met in the basement of the church building. The first teacher was the pastor of the charter congregation.
The congregation’s continued dedication to elementary education was evident, when in 1903, property was purchased at NE Rodney and Ivy, and a two-room schoolhouse was built. Portland’s Concordia University was begun in 1905 enrolling seventeen students and using the vacated church basement for classes. Not until1919 was Trinity able to build a new, larger church building at the Rodney and Ivy location.
The scenario replayed in 1959 when the congregation moved its school to the present site, originally building only the gym and classrooms. Additional school and office space was added in 1975 and 1981. During this entire time, the congregation chose to fund education facilities over the building of a sanctuary, worshiping for 30 years in the gymnasium. In 1989, the current church building was dedicated.
Today, Trinity congregation continues to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with their members, the community, our school children and their families.
Although Lutheran elementary education is still the primary ministry, the congregation also reaches into the neighborhood with a thriving Spanish Language ministry and community events on its property. Opportunities for worship, fellowship, service, Bible study and sharing Christ with each other are part of the life of the congregation.